Thursday, May 27, 2010

Have you been looking for the perfect sandal for your wedding, your bridesmaids or just for any occasion?? We think we found them!


In the Spotlight: Frogges by Jan Nikisher



We recently spoke with Jan Nikisher, the owner of "Frogges." She hand crafts beautifully embellished flip flops customized to exactly what you want. Be sure to check out her site, http://www.frogges.com/, and contact her at jan.nikisher@frogges.com with any questions!


Here is what Jan had to say:

What is the story behind Frogges; how did you get started?

I was searching the Internet for quality flip flops for myself when I stumbled upon a few pairs of embellished sandals that caught my eye. But the prices on them! I was sure I could make some for myself with the quality shoes I wanted and still be under those prices. I researched types of flip flops, how to put on the crystals, types of adhesive that would last without discoloring and would hold in high humidity, how to prep the shoes so that the crystals would stay on, etc.

Then I bought the products and made up my first pair for myself, not intending to make more. However, when I made them, I had so much fun and had so many more designs in my head! And when I wore them, I got so many compliments and women saying they wanted some; that I decided to start making different styles and colors to sell. I would literally go to bed at night and have design shapes and colors running through my mind. I was convinced I could make more colors and designs and give customers better value for less money. And I think I've done that!

Though the name "Frogges" is a bit whimsical, I am passionate about beauty, quality and value. That is why each of my designs is an original and is a work of art, lovingly created and carefully crafted with the best quality materials available.

What separates your flip flops from other brands?

My unadorned sandals are imported from Brazil (Havaianas and Cariris) and are from the finest soft rubber to give optimum comfort and years of durability. And then I bedazzle them! I use only jewelry quality crystals from the Swarovski crystal factory in Austria. Each crystal is a XILION Rose-the most brilliant cut on the market- and is individually hand set on the sandal. I use only ss16 stones to create maximum sparkle and easily discernible designs of the eye-catching style. My spectacular designs employ from 200-400 crystals per pair of sandal, dependent on the design, the size of the sandal and the width of the strap.

Every one of my designs is created on a 1.5 or a 2.5 inch heel height. A heel of this height displays your feet and legs to a better advantage than flat sandals and looks much more alluring, whether worn with jeans, casual clothes, a swimsuit, festive attire or as an accessory to a breathtakingly gorgeous wedding gown.

Rainbow 2:



How durable are your flip flops?

Each pair of Frogges includes a packet of crystals matching the design colors, in the unlikely event a crystal becomes loose. I used a high quality UV-formula adhesive which resists yellowing or cracking. This adhesive is flexible and capable of holding up in high humidity, sunlight, temperature fluctuations and is waterproof, so that crystals remain secure. Customers have worn their Frogges sandals in the water, on beach sand and shelling without loosing a crystal!


Frogges can be gently washed in warm, soapy water, rinsed off and dried with a soft cloth to be at their sparkly best. Treated gently, Frogges should stay in great shape for many years to come.

From looking at your Etsy store, you have a variety of different colors available; do you take custom orders?

Custom colors and imagination are my specialty. At no extra charge! And I always offer free shipping. I recently sent off a pair of bride's shoes crafted in orange and blue (Florida Gators fan) with GO UF on the heels. They were beautiful!


How will I know what size to buy?

The rubber sandals I use, being quality shoes, are pretty true to size, perhaps even a bit generous in the sizing. I encourage customers to call me or email me with specific size questions if they are unsure so we can get the perfect fit!

Do you have a favorite pair of flip flops that you have made so far?

I have two favorites. One is the Ocean Waves, because I live near the beach, and the other is Texas Pride, being a Texan!



Ocean Waves:





Texas Pride:



How long does it take to embellish a pair of flip flops?

The whole process of starting to prep a shoe, embellishing it and letting it cure before cleaning and inspection to ship takes 4 days. The embellishing itself depends on how intricate the pattern is and how many colors are involved. That can take up to half a day per pair.

What is your most popular style?


So far, my Rainbow seems to be the best seller, probably because it can be worn with so many colors.

What is your favorite wedding flower and wedding color combos?

I love the wedding color scheme of white, salmon and light teal - with orchids, roses and calla lilies.


An added bonus:
Right now Frogges is having an inventory reduction sale - everything is slashed to wholesale prices, and still free shipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment